Our Rookie Program has been introduced to developed to assist with the education and retention of our 12 – 18 year old members through a structured and fun development program. The Rookie Lifesaver Program is aimed at developing our future surf lifesavers in the areas of surf education, beach management and related career paths within the surf life saving movement.
As part of our Rookie program we encourage lots of fun events at Nippers on Sundays and a variety of social gatherings throughout the year. Our Rookies help with Age manager duties at nippers and water safety.
Our Rookies also have their own patrols, which help to patrol the beach each Sunday
–either 8.30am – 1pm or 1pm – 5.30pm.
Aims of the Rookie Lifesaver Program :
- Develop the hands on surf lifesaving skills of young members
- Provide a transition and bridge the gap between the nipper and senior lifesaving ranks
- Provide a structured career path in surf lifesaving
- Develop strong ties between Senior and Junior Members as a result of involvement in this program
- Understand the surf lifesaving philosophy
- Encouragement to complete the Surf Rescue Certificate, and ability to gain the Bronze Medallion (Cert II Public Safety – Aquatic Rescue).
- Have fun!